Twenty-two people were treated for nausea or respiratory problems after breathing in toxic fumes from chemicals used to sanitise a hotel swimming pool at Disneyland Paris.
Firefighters evacuated the pool surrounds and first-floor rooms at the theme park’s New York Hotel on Friday after chlorine fumes started rising from the water. The problem was reportedly caused by a mistake in mixing bleach and sulphuric acid which were added to the pool tank to sanitise the water.
Emergency services treated most of the people affected at the theme park, but one holidaymaker and three staff members required hospital treatment. All have since been discharged.
When breathed in, chlorine fumes can cause nausea, vomiting, dizziness, chest pain and violent coughing. They may also cause skin or eye irritations.
The management closed the pool, which was drained by the fire brigade on Friday. It remained closed on Monday, according to staff.
Top 10 | France's most visited attractions
Guests evacuated from rooms overlooking the pool were given the all-clear to return on Friday afternoon, but those who wished were moved to alternative accommodation in a different wing of the hotel.
The hotel management was not immediately available on Monday to comment on how the chemicals came to be mixed incorrectly, or when the pool would reopen.
Disneyland Paris is France’s most-visited theme park.