EAU CLAIRE, Wis. — Claiming four champions/co-champions, five runners-up and 16 overall placewinners, the Augsburg University wrestling team had a solid effort at the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire Don Parker Open on Saturday.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Alex Wilson (SR, Oak Grove, Minn./St. Francis HS), the No. 2-ranked wrestler in the Division III national rankings at 149 pounds, cruised through his weight class with a 5-0 performance, winning four matches by bonus-point decisions, with three technical-fall victories and a pin. He scored a 2:27 pin of Brenn Olson of Division I Minnesota in the semifinals, then scored a 15-0, technical fall win over Cameron Riggs of St. Cloud State in the finals. Wilson is now 29-5 on the season with 23 bonus-point wins (eight pins, 11 technical falls, four major decisions).
- No. 3-ranked 125-pounder Victor Gliva (JR, Farmington, Minn./Farmington HS),scored three wins, including a 13-1, major-decision win in the semifinals and an 8-4 win over Eron Haynes of Nebraska Wesleyan in the finals, to claim the title in his weight class. Gliva is now 21-4 on the season with 13 bonus-point wins (six pins, two technical falls, five major decisions).
- At 157 pounds, defending national champion Ryan Epps (JR, Cannon Falls, Minn./Cannon Falls HS) and Aaron Wilson (JR, Oak Grove, Minn./St. Francis HS) shared the title, as both reached the finals after winning their first three bouts. Epps, ranked No. 2 nationally at 157, claimed a pin in his opening match and an 8-4 win in the semifinals, while Wilson had a major decision and pin on his way to the final. Epps is now 25-3 on the season and 101-11 in his career, while Wilson is also 25-3 on the season and 68-29 in his career.
- No. 4-ranked 133-pounder Sam Bennyhoff (SR, Mound, Minn./Mound-Westonka HS) scored three pins in his first three bouts to reach the finals in his weight class, but was edged 7-3 by Minnesota’s Jake Gliva in the finals to finish second. Bennyhoff is now 19-4 on the season with 11 bonus-point decisions (four pins, two technical falls, five major decisions), and is 112-26 in his career.
- David Flynn (JR, Jordan, Minn./Jordan HS (Scott West)), ranked No. 3 nationally at 141, finished second in his weight class. He scored two pins and an 11-0, major-decision win en route to an appearance in the final, but he fell 10-7 to Travis Swanson of St. Cloud State in the finals. Flynn is now 20-4 on the season with 13 bonus-point wins (nine pins, one technical fall, three major decisions).
- Tanner Vassar (JR, Maple Lake, Minn./Maple Lake HS), ranked No 5 nationally at 174, went 4-1 on the day with four pins to reach the championship match, where he dropped a technical fall loss to Division I Wisconsin’s Tyler Dow. Vasser had a 3:24 pin over Wisconsin-Whitewater’s Nate Mlodzik in the quarterfinals and a 2:44 pin over Wisconsin-Eau Claire’s Toby Mosley in the semifinals. Vassar is now 17-6 overall with 12 bonus-point wins (seven pins, two technical falls, three major decisions).
- Solomon Nielsen (SO, Luverne, Minn./Luverne HS), who moved into the 184-pound national rankings for the first time in his career this week at the No. 10 spit, went 3-1 with an opening-round pin to place second in his wight class. He scored an 8-5 win over Connor Williams of Upper Iowa in the semifinals, but dropped a 6-3 decision to Tyree Overton of St. Cloud State in the finals. Nielsen is now 19-4 this season.
- Wyatt Richardson (JR, Grand Meadow, Minn./Grand Meadow HS) went 3-1 at 197 pounds to finish second in his weight class.
- Lance Benick (SO, Scandia, Minn./Totino-Grace HS), ranked No. 4 at 197, scored a pair of pins and a 19-2, technical-fall win at 197 before withdrawing due to medical forfeit, as did defending 165-pound national champion and top-ranked Lucas Jeske (JR, St. Michael, Minn./St. Michael-Albertville HS), who went 2-0 with an 18-1, technical-fall win.
2019 UWEC Don Parker Open Results
Augsburg has its final home dual of the season next Friday (2/8) at 7 p.m., hosting Saint John’s at Si Melby Hall.
Click Here: liverpool mens jersey
AUGSBURG RESULTS BY WEIGHT CLASS
- 125: Victor Gliva 3-0, first place.
- 133: Sam Bennyhoff 3-1, second place.
- 141: David Flynn 3-1, second place; Mike Hayes 1-2; Dalton Nagel 0-2; Quinn Youngs 0-2.
- 149: Alex Wilson 5-0, first place, AJ Bethel 3-2, fourth place; Tony Esteban 1-2; Jacob Forar 1-2; Cain Van Ryn 1-2; Jack Vaselaar 1-2; Boone Young 1-2; Justin Kopet 1-2.
- 157: Ryan Epps 3-0, co-first place; Aaron Wilson 3-0, co-first place; Michael Abeyta 4-1, consolation first place; Shawn Barth 1-2.
- 165: Lucas Jeske 2-0, sixth place; Joshua Verbeten 1-2.
- 174: Tanner Vassar 4-1, second place; Nick Rogge 4-2, fifth place; Luke Wilson 1-2.
- 184: Solomon Nielsen 3-1, second place; Lorenzo Hernandez 2-2, fourth place; Dylan Lentz 2-2; sixth place; Jonathan Zarnke 1-2; Brent Chambers 0-2.
- 197: Wyatt Richardson 3-1, second place; Lance Benick 3-0, sixth place.
- HWT: Ethan Hofacker 1-1; Timothy Mandyck 1-2.
Check out Auggies Wrestling at athletics.augsburg.edu and on Facebook and Twitter.
View More College News